Monday, March 10, 2008

North East Day 2: Guwahati Temples

Today was a day for temples - it seems Guwahati is called a city of temples - there are quite a few of them here.
First we went to the Arunachal Bhawan (found it after a loong search - as it is in a small house on the end of a smaller street) and applied for the ILP (In-Land Permit) which is required for going into Arunachal. If you don't want to "waste" a day in Guwahati - I would suggest that you get the ILP from Delhi or Mumbai. Anyways - I missed out on that option - and spent the day in Guwahati. 

As I said - a day for temples - Kamakshi Devi (the line was sooo looooooooong I didn't even think of going in) - Umananda (small temple on a river island - very nice place to go) - had lunch - and the Balaji temple (very beautiful South Indian temple - nicely landscaped - unfortunately my camera went crazy - the mirror got stuck and many photographs came half black :-((((( )

And last of all Kalakshetra - a nice park with a small museum and a big open-air theatre - very nice place. 

Well - that was the end of the second day - quite uneventful and not the best - but lets hope for the best - should get my ILP tomorrow - and then its off to Arunachal - Bomdila and Tawang - then Kaziranga. Lets see what else can go wrong. . .

It seems the North-east area hates my camera - last time I had come to Calcutta - and my SLR was stolen - this time - first I got fined for using the camera yesterday - and today the mirror got stuck - now till I can get it repaired I've lost the ability for auto-focus . . . . . but I guess things could be worse :-)




2 comments:

mrsgollum said...

lots of envy occuring :)

DJ said...

Pal... One slight correction... Its Kamakhya temple...
Ah! Whoever have planned the trip did terrible mistake in understanding your likes...
Instead of waiting for IPL and since you were not much interested in temples around guwahati, you should have hit Kaziranga direcly... Infact on way to Bomdila or Tawang you could have visited another Elephant forest reserve Sonai-Rupai..

Ciao