Monday, December 31, 2007

ISB Vs IIM PGPX- A different perspective

ISB has really carved out a niche for itself in a very short span of time. As friends and colleagues came to know I was going to ISB, congratulatory messages started pouring in.
A few were excited and a few amazed that I was planning to go to school after 7 years of workex.

I was only looking for a one year program....couldn’t imagine studying for two years and the thought of no money flowing into my account at the end of the month for two years was a horrible one.
Looked at a few courses both India and abroad and finally decided on applying for the IIM PGPX and the ISB PGP.

I had not made up my mind where I wanted to go between the two institutes (assuming I got an admit from both the places). Started of with researching about both the programmes, read a lot of blogs, communicated with the Alumni and found both the courses to be equally good although the PGPX had just been in existence for two years....but had the great IIM tag going for it.

Although I did not get a shortlist from the IIM’s but my admiration for ISB over the IIM’s started from the application process itself. I know some people might argue that I am biased about ISB now that I have an admission offer from them. Honestly I am only trying to contrast the admission procedure followed by the institute, which ultimately would also have a bearing on the class profile. A lot of people try and compare the two programs on the basis of faculty, diversity, content, class profile etc but this is a very different way to compare the two programs

Contrasting the admission process of the two institutes I can vouch that one followed by ISB was much better both in terms of the packaging (website, forms etc) and also more holistic in nature. The ISB application consisted of the essays, reco’s, GMAT, academics, work profile etc. whereas the IIM’s just insisted on the academics, GMAT and the work profile.

I also feel that the IIM’s approach to short listing being very narrow, as the GMAT played a crucial role (although the institute never admits that , however when I called them about the feedback the gentleman advised me to score better on the GMAT). Also the average GMAT for the 08-09 batch of PGPX is 731 which is much higher than Wharton or Harvard. I believe when the PGPX program is looking at profiles of around 9-10 years of post qualification workex, GMAT should not be a very crucial deciding factor, at least at the interview short listing stage. How is the IIM adcom judging the leadership potential of candidates without Reco’s or Essays is anybody’s guess. Specially so when the PGPX is a program focused at general management and leadership.


I just hope that the future IIM PGPX class is not deprived of having to study with the best people (read high potential people but with GMAT scores under 700) because of the IIM PGPX Adcoms continued love with high GMAT.

Maybe more comparisons and feedback after I join ISB.
The eternal debate over ISB and IIM PGPX still goes on..............

PS- This is only my analysis of the admission process followed by two reputed institutes, having gone through the process. This is not to undermine the fact that the PGPX would also have a lot of bright people.

Wishing all a Happy new year and an eventful 2008 to all ISB admits

Vikas

3 comments:

cryonerve said...

Vikas,

IIMA PGPX adcom asks for essays and reco's from a fraction of candidates- roughly 20% of applicants- and then shortlists them based on these essays/reco's and an intensive interview.

I cannot comment on how the shortlisting works, but I assume GMAT and Workex plays a huge rule.

Best

SS

Unknown said...

ISB and IIMA both are premier institutes in India. Any debate to prove ISB a better college than IIMA or vice versa shows one's immaturity and infact is not required atall. I received interview call from IIMA with a very low GMAT score, because of the quality of my work experience and was also selected later. please stop publishing un-educated comments about any prestigious college because you went to ISB.

Anonymous said...

I have some very objective comparison here: http://wp.me/p1sztD-1y

SS - PGPX needs essays from all candidates shortlisted for interview. Before interview selection is based on GMAT & Leadership profile.

Sumit - I agree with you.