Wednesday, December 19, 2007

My Interview Experience

Finally had my interview on November 19 - in Mumbai. Unfortunately I don't remember the names - but two gents.
The essay was on 'Sunset' - 100 words - I think I rambled on about beautiful colours, romanticism, melancholy, hope, and god know what else.

The interview was very casual - unfortunately - I don't think it went very well for me.

They started with my profile - I'll just briefly mention it here - as my interview was mostly about my profile.

1) Did my architecture from Chandigarh - its one of the oldest and best colleges for architecture
2) Did a masters in Building Engineering and Management from SPA, Delhi - again one of the best
3) Joined Cushman & Wakefield in their project management division - worked there for 2 years
4) Started my own business in project management and have been working on my own for the past one and a half years.

First question was why - after such a good progression - working great in the company - you left all of a sudden to start your own business. I mentioned that I was working on a project and the client asked me if I could provide them with project management service - I discussed this with a colleague and we decided to go into business together servicing the client.

He then asked why I wanted to leave my business which was just starting for and MBA. I mentioned that till date I have been plugging in holes in my education - after architecture I realised that actual construction was something I hardly knew about so I joined construction management and now after working for more than a year in my own firm I realised that I needed to learn more about finance and HR.

Next they asked about my essays - specially the second one - simple stuff - nothing major.

Then they came back to my business and how I though ISB would help me out. I mentioned that even after getting such a good start and working for one of the largest merchant bankers in the world - I was unable to really expand my business and even after one and half years I'm still stuck with the single client. He asked me what areas I though I needed to improve and I mentioned finance and HR - as resourcing was one of the major problems I've been facing - and I really do not know how to expand. Then they asked me if I would like to major in finance - and I replied yes - alongwith entrepreneurship. They asked me if after one year I would get an offer from a big real estate firm or a finance firm - would I take up that offer. I mentioned that as of now my intention was to come back and expand my business - however you never know what can happen in a year.

Then things started going bad - he asked how specifically I felt that an MBA would help me in resourcing as well as generating money to expand the firm. I was confused at first - and then mentioned that if I understand more about finance and HR - study other cases such as mine I'm sure I would be able to run a better business. Didn't seem to go down too well with them. He worded the same question a bit differently and asked me that at the start of your business - when you're not sure of the finance - you're planning to spend 18-20 lakhs in a course - which would result in huge EMIs once you come out - add to that business expenses - how would this help out your business. I knew I was dead - but nevertheless I smiled and mentioned that I felt this 18-20 lakhs was an investment in myself and I knew that I would do well after an MBA.

Then they asked me if I had missed out something in my application or hasn't come up in my interview. I mentioned that I'm not sure if its important - but while filling my application - I missed out the fact that I love to read. Reading is such an integral part of my life - that it didn't seem important. Only after reading my application later - did I realise this. Then they asked me about any recent book I had read - so I mentioned 'The Count of Monte Cristo'.

Then it was the standard dialogue of whether I wanted to ask them anything. By now I felt that I had already bumbled enough - so I said no and said goodbyes to both of them.

**************************************

I guess the interview went better that I had felt - I got through !!!

2 comments:

PK Talli said...

nice post dude... :)
i guess blogging can be a better way to know each other..

NoeL said...

These experiences will be of great help for people like me next year!!

I urge the rest of the batch 2009 to come out and put their experiences too.. here.. :)

NoeL