Friday, December 21, 2007

Trip to home

I decided to visit home before going offshore for a project. Usually I don’t trust flights during the winter season due to treacherous Delhi weather. After taking the flight I have to catch a connecting train and since the flights are always delayed, I have lost the train a couple of times. So the next option is to take the rail route. Rail journey takes 22 hours officially for just over 1200 kms. But actually it takes more than 27 hours. I boarded the train, with Paulo Coelho’s book “The Alchemist” for company. I have been thinking of reading this book for a long time. I had heard a lot about this book and wanted to read it. The book was interesting and intriguing. Due to its philosophical touch, it sounded little boring at times. I am not a huge fan of philosophical books. It is often said that a book is a man’s best companion. This book helped me in whiling away 27 boring hours. When I reached home, I was subjected to a severe dose of soap operas. Oh my GOD, bahuranian, betian, bhabhi. i have been trying to avoid the TV and get hold of the remote to catch up with news etc. but remote seems out of reach and is reserved from 8 to 10:30 pm. So I have no option, but to watch the horrendous serials. Sometimes I feel like worshiping Ekta Kapoor. She is God. No one other than Ramananda Sagar, has created such benchmarks in Indian Television history. My mom remarked that even if you don’t watch the serial for a month, you won’t lose track of the story. But still she watches them religiously. So that’s the story of the Indian soap Operas. I think they should find mention in Harvard Business Review. Tonnes of newsprints have been written about the characters of these soap operas. Everybody is so elegantly dressed even when they wake up at 2 AM in the morning. The camera gives the characters ample time for multiple zoom in and zoom out and till the time all other characters wait. I mean any sane person can identify the vamp from her facial expressions, but nobody notices her. Where on the earth does this happen. But the TRPs are zooming. Is anybody, other than me, complaining?

Prashant

3 comments:

Dushyant said...

I agree with you - Soap Operas can be sooo boring. One of the reasons why I didn't even get a TV till recently. That too I got a Tata Sky connection for free with a projector. Till date the only thing I find useful is the mindless hindi songs - just to fill in the background. Don't know how you can tolerate the saas-bahu tortures. . . . .

Bornloser said...

i didn't chose to tolerate. i was subjected to the torture. i had to bow to the wishes of my mom. didnt have any choice you see.. :D

PK Talli said...

but dude... the best sight is watchin my dad abuse through these soaps n still watch them diligently.. :) you HAVE to see how he reacts!! 'ekta kapoor ne to mardon ko inconsequential banaa diya hai!! powerpuff has replaced all heroes and villians alike!!'.. hehe..

but i must say.. i think ekta kapoor has caught the nerve of the 'aspiring' class in india! thats almost like 60% of the consumer market!! coupled with the amount of in-programming and advertising!! kudos!